Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Behind A Mask by A M Barnard






I read this selection for the Vintage Mystery challenge: 35. Genuine Fakes: Authors who wrote under a pseudonym (Josephine Tey [Elizabeth Mackintosh]; Nicholas Blake [Cecil Day Lews]; etc).

This author is also known as Louisa May Alcott. 

Opening Lines: "Has she come?"
"No, Mamma, not yet."
"I wish it were well over. The thought of it worries and excites me. A cushion for my back, Bella."
And poor, peevish Mrs. Coventry sank into an easy chair with a nervous sigh and the air of a martyr, while her pretty daughter hovered about her with...


This is the suspenseful story of  Jean Muir, a governess, who was looking for a place to work.  She comes to the Coventry family.  Everyone seems to love her except for Lucia and Gerald. Who is this woman and what does she really want?

Pages: 116
Published in 1866

1 comment:

Bev Hankins said...

Wow! You're buzzing right along. You're going to have your required eight done in no time!

I read this one as part of a larger collection of short novels and stories by Alcott (Behind a Mask: The Unknown Thrillers Of Louisa May Alcott) quite a while ago. I know I really enjoyed it--but that was back before my blogging days, so I don't have any notes giving me details of what I thought.