Saturday, January 5, 2013

Light in August





Light in August by William Faulkner

I read this book for the Back to the Classics Challenge 2013.  I was going to put it into the 20th Century category but as I read it I changed my mind to include it in this category: A Classic that relates to the African-American Experience - This can be an African-American author, or a book relating to slavery, civil rights, or African-American culture.

I did not like this book. To me, it was too long.  I felt he took too many words to get to the point.  I did not like the way he introduced the characters and then PAGES later decided to tell their story.  I wonder if it was submitted to an editor today how much of it would have been changed.  I just felt so depressed by the characters.  It seemed none of them had any hope and it was due to the choices they made in the lives.

The Story: It begins with an unwed mother, Lena, searching for the father of her child.  She walks from her home in Alabama to Jefferson, Mississippi. Once she gets to Jefferson the story changes to a man named Joe Christmas, who may or may not be of Negro blood and the feelings he had about being part black.  He tortures himself about this and it leads to him treating others badly, including murder.

Pages: 507

Here's a link to another opinion on the book.




No comments: