Wednesday, January 23, 2013

The After House by Mary Roberts Rinehart





This book meets a category for the Vintage Mystery Reading Challenge: 18. Murder on the High Seas: a mystery involving water.   
Published in 1914
Pages: 184



The story: Dr. Ralph Leslie, a recent graduate from medical school, has gotten the flu.  While he is recovering he watches some people on a yacht and decides that he is going to sea for the summer as a sailor.  He manages to get hired as an extra man.  The ship's owner, Marshall Turner, is an alcoholic and starts trouble with the ship's captain.  While the yacht is out to sea,  three people are murdered. There are two suspects.  Who did it??

I liked this story but was dumbfounded when the murderer was revealed in the last chapter.  I had no clue.  I can usually figure it out but the author did not let the reader in on it!
  

2 comments:

Bev Hankins said...

This was the first Rinehart book that I read. It got me hooked!

Ryan said...

I think this was my first book too, maybe the second, but I loved it.