Sunday, January 6, 2013

The Castle of Otranto by Horace Walpole

I read this book for my Back to the Classics 2013 Reading Challenge. I had a hard time picking something for this category: A Pre-18th or 18th Century Classic. I could not find the book in my library.   I read an ebook that I downloaded to my computer from this site.

I kind of enjoyed this book which is described as " the first gothic novel, initiating a literary genre which would become extremely popular in the later 18th century and early 19th century."   At the beginning I liked the story but when Manfred goes crazy with the idea of divorcing his wife and marrying his dead son's intended, the story lost me a bit.  But it picked up towards the end, which redeemed it some.  If he had focused more on the supernatural parts of the plot I would have liked it more.


No comments: