Tuesday, January 22, 2013

The Circular Staircase by Mary Roberts Rinehart






Rachel Innes decides to rent a house for 6 months while her home is getting redecorated.  Her niece and nephew will stay the summer with her.  Upon her arrival with her maid, Liddy, strange things start to happen.  The servants tell her that the house is haunted.  This scars Liddy and unnerves Rachel. As they go around the house to close and lock the windows, they see a face staring in at them in the room above the circular staircase.
Two nights later, they are all awaken to the sound of a gun being used.  They find the body of the house's owner laying at the bottom of the circular staircase. The next few weeks are nervewracking and strange as Rachel, aided by a local policeman solve the murder and theft of a bank.

This selection is for the Vintage mystery Category: 3. Amateur Night: a book with a "detective" who is not a P.I.; Police Officer; Official Investigator (Nurse Keate, Father Brown, Miss Marple, etc.).

Pages: 208 
Published in 1908

4 comments:

Bev Hankins said...

This one is sitting on my TBR pile...I'm not sure if I'll get to it this year or not. I do like Mary Roberts Rinehart, though.

jmisgro said...

I really liked it!

neer said...

Hi

I read this book for the first edition of the VM challenge. I didn't like the mystery but enjoyed the humour.

Ryan said...

I liked this, but I liked The Bat a little more.