Friday, January 11, 2013

The Man in the Queue by Josephine Tey


I read this book for the Vintage Mystery Reading Challeng: Scattergories
The Category is: #14. Scene of the Crime: a book with the location of the crime in the title (The Body in the Library, Murder at the Vicarage, etc.)

I have never read anything by Josephine Tey.  I liked this story because it had twists and turns.  Inspector Alan Grant is called to investigate a murder of a man that was killed while standing in line to get into a theater to see a play.  Through difficult detective work, he gets a suspect and chases him to Scotland - I found it funny that the author kept referring to the citizen in Scotland as Scotch!  Scotch is something you drink...people from Scotland are Scots!  
But he doesn't feel the suspect is the murderer. He is correct.  That's all I am going to say.  I don't want to spoil the ending.

Published in 1929.
Pages: 213

5 comments:

Bev Hankins said...

I do like Josephine Tey. So glad you've chosen to to read one of hers for your first book. It's interesting what you mention about "Scotch"--Josephine Tey (actually, Elizabeth MacIntosh) was Scottish, so I wonder about her usage.

jmisgro said...

maybe it was proper at the time??

Becky said...

I've only read two Josephine Tey mysteries, but I've enjoyed them both. I really love Daughter of Time.

jmisgro said...

Thanks for the tip Becky. I will see if I can get that book from the library!!

Gollygilly said...

JoAnne, I know you will love The Daughter of Time by Josephine Tey. I personally think it is her best, because it combines a murder mystery with History. It is a 1951 detective novel by Josephine Tey, concerning a modern police officer's investigation into the alleged crimes of King Richard III of England. It was the last book Tey published in her lifetime, shortly before her death.
Right up your alley too, I should think!!!!