Saturday, January 26, 2013

The Scapegoat By Daphne Du Maurier





I had to take a photo of this book because I couldn't find one on the internet anywhere!!  This was the only copy my library had, not that I need to read large type - lol! 
This book was published in 1957.  When I made my list for the Vintage Mystery Reading Challenge, I had it down on my list for category # 20. Murder Is Academic: a mystery involving a scholar, teacher, librarian, etc.  OR set at a school, university, library, etc. BUT I really think it does not qualify for it, although John is a teacher. I am going to use this book for the category # 7. World Traveler: one mystery set in any country except the US or Britain.

The Story: John is on vacation in France and he happens to meet a man, Jean de Gue, who is his doppelganger!  They go out for dinner, then go back to Jean's hotel and John wakes up in the late afternoon when a man is calling for the Monsieur le Comte.  John decides to go along with this "joke".  He arrives at the chateau and gets involved with Jean's family.  When Jean's wife dies, he decides to return and take back his life. John did not realize he had been there only 7 days.  It changed his life and the lives of the family immensely. 

I really enjoyed this book.  I got sucked into the family just like John.  Jean was not a very nice man.  His family life was so sad and I believe he was at fault.

Here is a very detailed plot summary.

I did not realize that I-TV (I think) made a new version of this novel, starring Matthew Rhys, who will be in the new show The Americans starting on FX on Wednesday night. Here's the link. I am going to search the internet and see if I can find this version.  It was first made into a movie in 1959 starring Alec Guinness and  Betty Davis.

Pages: 506

1 comment:

Bev Hankins said...

Very interesting! I had never heard of this Du Maurier book before. Now I'll have to try and track it down.

You are really buzzing through the categories!