Sunday, February 24, 2013

Beautiful Lies by Clare Clark







I am ambivalent about this book.  I hung on and read the whole thing.  I kept waiting for the story to pick up.  But I was quite bored.  Maribel is the wife of an MP living in 1887 London.  She smokes, writes poetry, takes photographs, goes to parties and visits friends.  Maribel and her husband have told lies.  Lies about her. His lies to her.  Lies about his family.

The lies are stupid.  The story could have been so much more.  After I finished the book, I read the Author's Note.  This story was based on the life of real people, Robert Bontine Cunninghame Graham and his wife Gabriela. The reviews on goodreads are mixed too.

Pages: 500

I read this book for the Monthly Key Word Challenge 2013. Key Word: Beautiful. 

No comments: