Friday, February 1, 2013

Behold, Here's Poison by Georgette Heyer





I searched the internet for a photo of this book with the dust cover, because the copy I got from the library was a plain green cover.  I found this one @ www.abebooks.com. This book was published in 1936.  Here's a link to Georgette Heyer's site.

I read this book for the Vintage Mystery Reading Challenge for the category: 12. Murderous Methods : a book with a means of death in the title (The Noose, 5 Bullets, Deadly Nightshade, etc).  It also qualifies as a mystery for the Mystery/Crime Challenge.

The Story:  Gregory Matthews was found dead by his family.  One of his sisters decides that she wants an investigation into his murder. Not because she cares to find out why he died, but just to cause trouble!  Inspector Hannasyde is assigned this case.  Almost everyone in the family is a suspect.  It is found that Mr. Matthews died from poison. How did nicotine get into his system?

When I was about halfway through this book, I was thinking that the man probably killed himself to get away from his awful family!  Mr. Matthews was not a nice man either.  These people were a pit of vipers, snipping and snapping at each other for the fun of it!  Gosh!! The only people I liked in this story were Stella and Randall, even though he said some nasty things, I thought he was a hoot!

Pages: 320

2 comments:

Bev Hankins said...

I really like Georgette Heyer--but she does have some nasty families in her stories. Fortunately, in almost every one there's at least one character (and often more) who are so funny that it more than makes up for it. The only book that I couldn't like much was Penhallow.

jmisgro said...

I have Penhallow to read...I have noticed on goodreads that no one liked it either!