Wednesday, February 13, 2013

City of Shadows by Ariana Franklin


This author was recommended to me by a lady on FB.  When I read a new to me author, I always start with the earliest book I can get.

Since this book has "A Novel of Suspense" on the cover I am going to use it in my 2013 Genre Variety Reading Challenge.

The Story: A young woman is thrown off a bridge in 1920's Berlin.  Because she does not speak she is sent to an asylum.  Prince Nick, a White Russian, and his secretary Esther, a Jewess, thinks she may be Anastasia, the Czar's daughter.  Every six weeks a large man has come to the asylum. Anna says he is there to kill her.  But why?  Is she really Anastasia?  Nick moves Esther, Anna and another woman, Natalya, into an apartment.  He wants them to "train" Anna so she can announce who she is to the world. 
Esther gets attacked at Nick's nightclub by the large man.  Six weeks later another employee of Nick's gets killed.  Is it the large man.  Esther meets Inspector Schmidt. More murders happen.  Schmidt gets sent to Munich.  Six years or so later he comes back to Berlin.  Another murder happens.  Esther and Schmidt team up to find out who the large man is.  Along the way they fall in love and discover what is really going on!

I really enjoyed this book.  You get a glimpse of what post WW1 Berlin is like.  If you are intrigued by the whole Anastasia story you will enjoy this book.

Pages: 419

2 comments:

Gollygilly said...

Not sure if I was that lady who recommended this author to you, but if you want to start with her earliest work and probably her better work, try he books under her real name Diana Norman. This author was my favourite historical author her works are second to none. They are as follows:

Historical fiction books written under Diana Norman
A Catch of Consequence
Taking Liberties
The Sparks Fly Upward
The Vizard Mask
The Morning Gift
Daughter of Lir
The Pirate Queen
Blood Royal
Shores Of Darkness
Fitzempress' Law

A Terrible Beauty (non-fiction) Life of Constance Georgine Markievicz, Countess Markievicz (Polish: Markiewicz; née Gore-Booth; 4 February 1868 – 15 July 1927)

Fitzempress'Law was her first book written in 1980, before which she was a Journalist for many years

Gollygilly said...

Ops I did forget the book King of the Last Days (1981) which she wrote after Fitzempress' Law. The list I gave you above starts with her most recent on down. On my Blog that I have just started, I wrote a post "My beloved author Diana Norman aka Ariana Franklin". My blog is called HISTORY'S ODDS and SODS and can be found at this link:
www.ghosts-from-the-past.blogspot.com

I am so glad others are reading and enjoying her books as much I did.