Friday, February 15, 2013

Etiquette & Espionage by Gail Carriger





I read this fantastic new book yesterday!! I really liked it.  I got it for the Genre Variety Challenge.  The genre is Science Fiction> Steampunk.  I never knew about this genre but I love to read this kind of book.  It also can go on the list for the 150+ Challenge and 2013 Steampunk'd Reading Challenge.

Here is a great explanation of Steampunk from Gail Carriger's website.
There are two main kinds of steampunk. The first, which shall be called here, traditional steampunk, envisions a future as the Victorians imagined it. The writings of H.G. Wells and Jules Verne are good examples. The second, industrial steampunk, sees a far future world that harkens back to Victorian culture, for example a bustle dress made of kevlar. There are also other temporal options like clockpunk (c. 1500s) and dieselpunk (WWII). 

The Story:

 Sophronia is a 14 year old girl that is not a young lady the way her mother wants her to be.  She takes things apart to see how they work.  She is constantly climbing and causing trouble. So her mother decides to send her to a finishing school, Mademoiselle Geraldine's Finishing Academy for Young Ladies of Quality.  Mademoiselle Geraldine takes her away from her home and on the way to the school the carriage gets attacked by flywaymen.  Of course Sophronia handles the situation and rescues everyone.
Once she gets to the school, she starts to realize that this is not a regular finishing school.  The adventure begins!!

I really enjoyed reading this book and cannot wait for the next installment in The Finishing School series.  Ms. Carriger has several other books which I will be reading soon!  I am going to attempt to get my younger daughter to read this book!

Pages: 307

1 comment:

krweinert.com said...

Found your review via the Steampunk'd Challenge which I've just signed up to. So glad to see you enjoyed this, it's on my reading list :)