Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Magic in the Blood by Devon Monk


Magic is another Key Word in the Monthly Key Word Challenge for March.  I searched for a book at the library and found this one.  It is the second in a series.  I wanted to get the first one but it was checked out.  I will be reading it.
This is the story of Allie.  Her father has just died.  But she sees his ghost in her bathroom.  It really freaks her out. The police call and want her to come down to the station and give a statement about her father's death. She is on the bus and meets up with Trager.  He is out of jail.  He threatens her.  She will bring Pike to him tomorrow night and they will be even.  (Really???)  While she is at the cop shop, they offer her a job consulting on a case.  Allie is magic.  She is what they call a HOUND.  She can track magic.  Somehow, Trager, Pike, the cops and her father get rounded up into one giant case.


Excerpt

I dunked my head under the warm spray of my shower and rubbed shampoo into my hair, wondering where my next Hounding job, and paycheck, were coming from. I hadn’t been using much magic since I got back to town, and the bills were piling up. It was time to get on with my life, time to get on with tracking spells again.
I heard a distant pop, like a light bulb blowing, and all the lights in my apartment went out. I opened my eyes just as a stream of soap dripped into them.
“Ow, ow, ow.”
Outside, the wind howled past my bathroom window. We’d been having some bad storms lately–plain old wind storms, not wild magic. Probably a tree or landslide up in the west hills had knocked out the line or blown a transformer, throwing this part of Portland into a deep early-morning darkness. The wail of an alarm from a nearby business started up, and then an answering siren, and then two, joined in on the noise. A couple car alarms got busy.
I rinsed as much of the soap out of my eyes as I could, turned off the shower, and stumbled out of the tub. I hit my shin on the toilet bowl.
“Ow ” I groped for the sink, found the cool surface with my fingertips, and looked over my shoulder at the single frosted window behind me. No light, which meant the magic grid was down too. There were back up spells to power the streetlights in case of blackout–spells the city paid the price for. Weird they hadn’t kicked on yet.
I groped my way along the sink, the wall, light switch, and the towel hanging on the back of the door. I knew there was no one in the room with me, no one in my apartment. Still, I did not want to be alone and naked in the dark.
“Allie,” a voice whispered, so close to my cheek I could feel the cold exhale.
I bolted out into the hallway and turned. It was so dark I couldn’t see anything.
I traced a glyph for Light in the air in front of me, completely forgetting to set a Disbursement for the pain that magic was going to put me through. Pain, I could deal with later. Light, I needed now.
The hallway, hells, the entire apartment, lit up like sunlight on snow.
I was not alone.
My dead father stood right there on the yellow ducky bath mat in front of my shower. It didn’t look like death had done him any favors. More here.


Pages: 358

No comments: