Monday, April 8, 2013

The Chia Seed Cookbook - Eat Well, Feel Great, Lose Weight By: MySeeds Chia Test Kitchen

I saw this at the library.  I thought it would be interesting.  I bought a bag of chia seeds awhile ago but could not find the recipe I wanted to try.  This is an interesting cookbook.  There is a photo for every recipe, which I love.  But I am trying to follow a Primal diet.  Most of these recipes have ingredients that are not allowed, like wheat and beans.
I will be trying one recipe for Strawberry Chia Chef Salad Dressing.  Sounds yummy.
Pages: 224


About Chia Seeds from Mark's Daily Apple:
I’ve heard chia seeds mentioned in the forums, and I thought it would be worth it to take a quick gander. Before Chia Pets got popular, chia seeds were eaten throughout Mesoamerica for thousands of years. The Aztec and Mayan civilizations were big fans of the seed, even using chia seeds as tributes to the ruling classes. Chia is actually a bit like flax in a few ways. For one, chia is high in Omega 3 fatty acids – ALA in particular. But just like I do with flax, I think the potential benefits of ALA in the diet are vastly overblown. The “purpose” of ALA consumption is to convert it into DHA/EPA, but humans simply don’t have the hardware to make the conversion worthwhile. Most of it just gets wasted. That’s not to say chia isn’t a viable food option; if it tastes good and falls within the PB, I say go for it. Just don’t make the mistake of thinking you’re taking care of all your Omega 3 fatty acid requirements with a few tablespoons of chia seeds each day.
1 oz. Chia seeds
137 calories
Protein:   4g
Carbs:   12g (11g fiber)
SFA:   1g
MUFA:   0.6g
PUFA:   6.5g
Omega 6:   1.6g
Omega 3:   4.9g (ALA)

1 comment:

Vicki said...

I started adding chia seeds to my oats, yogurt etc., but shortly after read some bad things about it so I stopped. Maybe I should investigate it more.