Sunday, May 19, 2013

Code Name: Bikini

I got this book for the 2013 Monthly Key Word Challenge.  Key Word: Name
It's a romance book but it's got an interesting story.  Trace is a NAVY Seal.  He got hurt on a mission.  Since he is not quite up to par, he is going to be sent on a mission on a cruise ship. He is surprised to see Gina on the ship.  He met her a few days before and had "that" feeling about her.  He has never felt this way before.  Are they going to be able to be together?

Description from goodreads:
Ex-cop Gina Ryan traded in her Smith & Wesson to follow a dream. Now she's creating decadent desserts aboard a luxury cruise ship in the Caribbean. But a gorgeous passenger is about to send her perfect world up in smoke.—

Trace O'Halloran is a hard-edged navy SEAL, under strict orders to take some high seas R & R. There's a shipload of women in bikinis eager to help him unwind, so why can't he take his mind off the stubborn pastry chef with an attitude the size of Montana?

When a dangerous assassin from Trace's past appears, Gina and Trace must join forces to save the ship's guests. The clock's ticking, and they'l


Excerpt:
“I’m doing everything I can.”   The head of ship’s security prowled the small cooking area angrily.  “I don’t need an amateur telling me how to do my job.”

Gina Ryan cleared her throat.  “Um—he’s not exactly an amateur, Tobias.  Trace is in the Navy.”

“So what?  If he was any good, he’d be in the Marines.”

Since Trace O’Halloran happened to be a Navy SEAL, he simply smiled.  “Ex-jarhead, eh?  I should have figured you for that.” 

“Yeah, I’m an ex-Marine.  And I’ve got my men working on that video feed,” the security officer said stiffly.  “I’ve also got a computer expert coming aboard to beef up the galley network when we reach Mazatlan.”

“Not good enough.”

Gina shook her head.  The men were striking sparks off each other, playing like it was a boy’s club with a boy’s rules.  Those rules were partly what had driven her out of her last job.

But this wasn’t Seattle, and she wasn’t running ever again.

 “We’ve got to do something to stop this sabotage.”

“Let her think she’s winning, then ambush her from a rearguard action.  Remember, all warfare is based on
deception.”

“What is that, some kind of Navy motto?”

“No, it’s Chinese.  Very old military advice from a genius named Sun Zi.”

Gina scowled at the stairs leading up to the passenger decks.  “So I can’t just go kick her butt?”

“Nice for instant gratification, but not a long-term solution.”

“Okay, how about I grip her throat and strangle the last ounce of life out of her?”

“Nix on the strangulation, too.  It’s illegal.”

“What kind of date are you?  Can’t a girl have any fun?”

Trace O’Halloran’s lip curved.  “Is this a date we’re having?  I thought it was more like a security consultation.”

“It’s turning into a little of both.  Sort of.  Did I say thank you?”  Read more here.

Pages: 377

No comments: