Sunday, May 19, 2013

Linger by Maggie Stiefvater

This is the second in the Mercy Falls trilogy. I enjoyed this one and was glad I had the third one at home, to start right away!!!  It took me a bit to get into the character of Cole but once I did I liked him.

Descrption from the author's site:
Once Grace and Sam have found each other, they know they must fight to stay together. For Sam, this means a reckoning with his werewolf past. For Grace, it means facing a future that is less and less certain.
Into their world comes a new wolf named Cole, whose past is full of hurt and danger. He is wrestling with his own demons, embracing the life of a wolf while denying the ties of a human. For Grace, Sam, and Cole, life is a constant struggle between two forces--wolf and human--with love baring its two sides as well. It is harrowing and euphoric, freeing and entrapping, enticing and alarming. As their world falls apart, love is what lingers. But will it be enough?

Excerpt Chapter Three

• isabel •

The day the cop came into the bookstore was the first day I had ever heard Grace complain of a headache.
It probably doesn’t sound that remarkable, but since I met Grace, she had never mentioned so much as a runny nose. Also, I was something of an expert on headaches.They were a hobby of mine.
After watching Sam dance clumsily with the cop, I headed back to school, which by this stage in my life had become sort of redundant. The teachers didn’t really know what to do with me, caught as they were between my good grades and my terrible attendance record, so I got away with a lot. Our uneasy
agreement basically came down to this: I’d come to class and they’d let me do what I wanted to do, as long as I didn’t corrupt the other students.
So the first thing I did when I got to Computer Arts was dutifully log in to my computer station and undutifully pull out the books I’d bought that morning. One of them was an illustrated encyclopedia of diseases — fat, dusty-smelling, and bearing a copyright of 1986. The thing was probably one of the
first books The Crooked Shelf had stocked. Read more here.

No comments: