Monday, April 6, 2015

Hero by Samantha Young

Alexa is a PA to a photographer. The subject of the photo shoot is Caine Carraway, a man whose life was ruined by her father. He comes on to her and she blurts out the truth. He immediately fires her boss from the shoot and Alexa ends up getting fired. She was an illegitimate child.  Her father was married during most of her life. He only came to live with them after he was ruined by his actions and cut off by his father.

She cons her way into his office and tries to explain. Caine does not forgive her buts gives her a job. He is mean to her because of what her father did. She feels guilty for what he father did but Caine doesn't know that when she found out, it changed her life. Her mother chose her father over her. Alexa is basically alone in life and has been that way for 8 years.  She sees her grandpa but it's in secret only.

Caine and Alexa are drawn to each other and end up having sex in his office. He wants a sex only relationship. Lexie says yes but knows it will be more for her. They keep it secret because she thinks when people find out who she is it will hurt Caine and cause problems for her grandpa.  Will she get her man?

From amazon:
Alexa Holland’s father was her hero—until her shocking discovery that her mother and she weren’t his only family. Ever since, Alexa has worked to turn her life in a different direction and forge her own identity outside of his terrible secrets. But when she meets a man who’s as damaged by her father’s mistakes as she is, Alexa must help him.

Caine Carraway wants nothing to do with Alexa’s efforts at redemption, but it’s not so easy to push her away. Determined to make her hate him, he brings her to the edge of her patience and waits for her to walk away. But his actions only draw them together and, despite the odds, they begin an intense and explosive affair.

Only Caine knows he can never be the white knight that Alexa has always longed for. And when they’re on the precipice of danger, he finds he’ll do anything to protect either one of them from being hurt again....


Excerpt:
“You look pensive.”
My head jerked up from the e-mail I was reading and I stared into Henry’s handsome face in surprise. “Henry? What are you doing here?”
He smiled. “It’s Monday. Lunchtime. The usual.”
“It’s that time already?”
“You really were lost in concentration, huh?”
I smiled weakly. “Doing my best.”
Henry perched on the edge of my desk. “I also wanted to check in on you after Caine hauled you away from the party on Saturday night.”
“I’m fine.”
He frowned. “That was the least-fine-sounding ‘fine’ I’ve ever heard.”
Instead of answering I called through to Caine.
“Yes?” Even this was asked quietly, cautiously.
I glowered at the phone. I never thought I’d see the day when I wished for Caine’s impatient grumpiness. “Mr. Lexington is here to see you.”
“Send him in.”
Thankfully Henry seemed more amused than upset by my obvious brush-off. He threw me a look and wandered into Caine’s office. From that moment on I couldn’t think about work. I couldn’t think about anything but what they were talking about. Would Caine tell Henry that I had sex with him? And how would Henry react? After deducing that Henry was either playing matchmaker or just messing with his friend by asking me out in the first place, I didn’t think Henry would be too affected by the news of my sexual escapade with his friend.
Either Caine didn’t say anything, or Henry wasn’t upset, because when he stepped out of the office with my boss he was laughing about something. My gaze moved to Caine, who stopped at the sight of me and scowled. “I’ll be out for lunch. If there’s anything urgent have it forwarded to my cell.”
Why was he telling me something I already knew?
“I know how to do my job, sir,” I said, smiling through clenched teeth.
“Did I say you didn’t?”
I saw Henry’s eyebrows draw together as he watched our interaction.
“Well, when you instruct me to do something I already know to do, you’re implying I don’t know my job.” I shrugged, crossing my arms over my chest.
“Are you going to be this sensitive for the next two weeks? Because I’d like to prepare myself.”
“Oh, why don’t you—”
“Children, children.” Henry stepped in between us. “What is going on here? I thought after Saturday—”
“You thought what?” Caine and I snapped in unison, and then glowered at each other.
It seemed we both suspected Henry of messing with us.
Henry at least had the good grace to appear sheepish. “Nothing,” he lied with a shrug. “I’m just wondering why there’s all the extra antagonism between you.”
Caine shot me a warning look, and I knew instantly Caine hadn’t said a word to Henry about what had happened between us and he didn’t want me to mention it either. He addressed Henry. “Alexa quit this morning. She handed in her two-week notice.”
“Why?” Henry looked genuinely put out by the news.
Oh, great. So I was the bad guy. I harrumphed. “Call it an ‘unacceptable working environment.’ ”

Read more here.

Pages: 388
Published: 2015

No comments: