Tuesday, April 21, 2015

Play by Kylie Scott


Stage Dive #2
Anne has had a hell of a day. She came home from work to find her roommate moved out and took everything. Skye had owed Anne two months rent and more. Anne is almost devastated.  She is going to lose the apartment. Her neighbors, Lauren and Nate, invited her to a party at Nate's sister's place. Ev is married to a rock star.
At Ev's party, Anne feels out of place. She knows Ev but not well. Anne's phone rings and she steps out on the balcony to talk. It's her boss, Reese, whom she has had a crush on for two years. He has never given Anne a thought except for what she could do for him. He tells Anne that he told her that Skye would do her wrong. Then he asked her to work extra shifts. Creep!

Then a man asks her if she wants a beer. She was not alone. It's Mal, the drummer of the band. He knows that she is attracted to him but she tries to play it cool. Then he tells her that she has no boundaries and she gets angry and yells at him. Anne is embarrassed because everyone heard.

She tries to play it cool but Mal eventually tells everyone that she is his girl and he is moving in with her. He seems drunk and she just ignores him.  Then next day she comes home from work and he did move in and filled her place with furniture. He says he wants to have a fake relationship with her. She reluctantly agrees because he is Mal and she needs a roommate. But we know fake relationships always become real. Why does he need her?

I loved this one. I loved Mal in the first book, Lick. So happy that he found someone. On to book #3, Lead.

From the publisher:
Mal Ericson, drummer for the world famous rock band Stage Dive, needs to clean up his image fast-at least for a little while. Having a good girl on his arm should do the job just fine. Mal doesn't plan on this temporary fix becoming permanent, but he didn't count on finding the one right girl. 
Anne Rollins never thought she'd ever meet the rock god who plastered her teenage bedroom walls-especially not under these circumstances. Anne has money problems. Big ones. But being paid to play the pretend girlfriend to a wild life-of-the-party drummer couldn't end well. No matter how hot he is. Or could it?



Excerpt:
CHAPTER ONE 

Something was wrong. I knew it the moment I walked in the door. With one hand I flicked on the light, dumping my purse onto the couch with the other. After the dimly lit hallway, the sudden glare was dazzling. Little lights flashed before my eyes. When they cleared all I saw were spaces … spaces where, just this morning, things had been. 

Like the couch. 

My purse hit the floor and everything came tumbling out, tampons, loose coins, pens and makeup. A stick of deodorant rolled into the corner. The now empty corner since both the TV and its cabinet were gone. My thrift-store retro table and chairs remained, same with my overflowing bookcase. But the bulk of the room lay bare. 

"Skye?" 

No answer. 

"What the hell?" A stupid question, what had happened here was obvious. Across from me, my roommate's door stood wide open. Nothing but darkness and dust bunnies in there. No point in denying it. 

Skye had bailed on me. 

My shoulders slumped as the weight of two months' worth of back rent, food and utilities came crushing down upon me. Even my throat closed tight. So this is what it felt like to have a friend f**k you over. I could barely breathe. 

"Anne, can I borrow your velvet coat? I promise I'll…" Lauren, my neighbor from the apartment next door, strode in (knocking never had been her style). Then, like me, she stopped dead. "Where's your couch?"

 I took a deep breath and let it out slow. It didn't help. "I guess Skye took it." 

"Skye's gone?" 

My mouth opened, but really, what was there to say? 

"She's gone and you didn't know she was leaving?" Lauren cocked her head, making her mass of long dark hair swing to and fro. I'd always envied her that hair. Mine was strawberry blond and fine. Anything past shoulder length and it hung limp like I'd stuck my head in a bucket of grease. It's why I didn't tend to let it grow longer than jaw length. 

Not that hair mattered. 

Making rent mattered. 

Read more here.

Pages: 260
Published: 2014

No comments: