Saturday, May 2, 2015

Slow Burn by K. Bromberg



Driven #5
Haddie is filled with grief. Her mother had breast cancer twice and survived. Her older sister recently passed away from breast cancer. It has hurt everyone in her life. She won't let anyone new in her life because her BRAC1 test came back inconclusive. She needs to take it again but she's scared. Her best friend Rylee just married her man. Haddie needs to forget what is happening in her life so she begs Becks, the best man, to help her out by having sex. He tries to resist since they both are drunk from the reception.
He is trying to be the good guy because he has feelings for Haddie. But he cannot resist her anymore. But what will come from their one night with no strings? Becks wants strings - he wants to tie her up with those strings. Will Haddie let him in?

I loved this book. I could see both sides of the story. I really felt for Becks when he asks Haddie to want what is between them and to want him. WOW!

From the author:

ONE NIGHT. THAT’S ALL IT WAS SUPPOSED TO BE.

.Reeling from the sudden loss of her sister, Haddie Montgomery has sworn off relationships. All she wanted from Beckett Daniels was a sexy distraction to help her escape her pain for just a little while….There weren’t supposed to be any strings attached—so why can’t she shake the memory of that unforgettable night from her thoughts? Or the taste of his kiss from her lips?

No matter how hard Haddie tries to forget about him, Becks relentlessly tries to prove that she should start living for today. But she is determined to avoid romantic commitment, and she can always use her ex-boyfriend’s reappearance to help snuff out the slow burn within her that Becks has sparked….

.Or will fate force her to realize that this kind of connection doesn’t come along very often and a chance at love is worth the risk?

Excerpt:
I don’t meet his eyes. Don’t want to know if he wants or doesn’t want, because I do. I lean forward and press my lips to his, not giving him any time to react because damn if his lips aren’t the perfect combination of firm and soft. His body tenses as mine softens into him and I slide my hands up his chest at the same time my tongue slips between his lips. I moan softly, at the warmth of his mouth, the taste of the rum on his tongue, the feel of his breath catch. His strong palms slide slowly up my bare arms as we sink further into the kiss, when all of a sudden his fingers dig into my shoulders and he’s pushing me away. A shocked gasp falls from both of our mouths when our connection is broken.
“Haddie.” His voice is pained as he says my name, a contradictory plea and curse at the same time.
And my mind may be a little fuzzy and my body coiled so tight from his kiss, but that break in his voice tells me he more than enjoyed it. That he wants me just as badly as I want him.
I force myself to look up, meet the clouded shock in his eyes. “What? Don’t you want me, Becks?”
I feel his fingers tense on my shoulders, hear a strained chuckle deep in his throat. “Oh there’s a whole lot of want here,” he says before closing his eyes momentarily. He works a swallow in his throat and then pushes me away. “I’m just trying to play it safe, Had.”
His rejection stings—the alcohol softening the blow—but I feel the hesitancy in his fingers before he removes them from my shoulders. And with desire coursing through me, lust fueling its fire, I use my need to forget as the match to light the flame.
I step into him and slide my hands up his crisp, white shirt, and meet his eyes. “C’mon, how much safer can we be? I’m with you aren’t I? You’re not going to hurt me…are you Becks?” I may have drank a lot tonight but I know desire when I see it, and damn if it doesn’t look sexy on Becks.

Pages: 382
Published: 2015

No comments: