A Million More Pages discussion on goodreads
CHALLENGE RUNS JUNE 1- JULY 31, 2016
1) Ketchup appears to be the original term; it was derived from the Chinese condiment ke-tsiap (a pickled fish sauce). The modern vision of ketchup would have many variations before tomatoes became the main ingredient in the late 1700s.
☐ Read a book that is set in Asia OR
☐ Read a book with a fish on the cover OR
☐ Read a book set in or first published prior to 1800 Set in 1679-80 Highland Soldiers 1: The Enemy J.L. Jarvis 6/14/16
2) Heinz is one of the most popular flavor of Ketchup, with over 50% of the market sales in the US. The company was named after H.J. Heinz, and headquartered in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. The company now has many other corporate locations, as well as presence in other countries. The National Football League’s Pittsburgh Steelers and NCAA’s Pittsburgh Panthers play their home games at Heinz Field since 2001.
☐ Read a book by an author who uses their initials (ex: JK Rowling, JD Robb, JR Ward, etc) OR
☐ Read a book set in a location (state or country) that has a Heinz facility (states - California,
Kiss Me Like This Bella Andre 6/2/16
Florida, Idaho, Iowa, Massachusetts, Ohio, Oregon, or South Carolina; countries – Australia, Canada, India, Indonesia, Netherlands, Philippines, United Kingdom, China) OR
☐ Read a book with a Main Page Genre of SPORTS
3) In the early 1980s, a controversial Legislative Act considered making ketchup a vegetable for purposes of US School Lunches. With budget costs, the discussion was caused by finding ways to get nutritional requirements into school lunches with less expensive cost. The Omnibus Reconciliation Acts of 1980 and 1981 addressed some aspects of how to assist in lower income families (with free and reduced cost lunch programs)
☐ Read a book that has been considered “controversial” (banned book, taboo, etc) OR
☐ Read an omnibus/collection of stories OR
☐ Read a book you got for free (gift, Kindle freebie, library, borrowed, etc) Maid for Love Marie Force 6/5/16
4) Ketchup contains an amount of lycopene, which help give red fruits and vegetables their color. It is a free radical fighting antioxidants, which have shown to help preventing or reducing various cancers. It has also been shown to help reduce ‘bad cholesterol’ (LDL) and reducing blood pressure.
☐ Read a book about cancer (may be NF, or MC may be dealing with cancer/have had cancer) Skylar had cancer. My Skylar Penelope Ward 6/4/16
☐ Read a book with a heart on the cover or a predominately red cover OR
☐ Read a book with BAD in the title (must be intact, but may be part of a larger word ex: Badger)
5) The World’s Largest Catsup Bottle is located near Collinsville, Illinois. It is just off of Route 159 and is 170 feet tall, built in 1949. In August 2002, it was named to the National Register of Historic Places.
☐ Read a book that contains a page count of 159-170 pages, or a page count found 1949 (194 pages, 199 pages, 491 pages, etc) OR
☐ Read a book with a famous landmark on the cover OR
☐ Read a book with a Main Page Genre of Historical Fiction
Sweetest Scoundrel Elizabeth Hoyt 6/9/16
6) Some brands may market their ketchup as 'fancy'...this is a grading of the product, and relates to a higher solid concentration of tomato. There is 33% total solid product in ketchup graded 'fancy', so in theory this would be better quality.
☐ Read a book that has a person in 'fancy' clothes on the cover (your interpretation) OR
☐ Read a book that is has a Goodreads Rating of 4.33 or higher 4.35
A Lowcountry Wedding Mary Alice Monroe 6/3/16☐ Read a book with "3" in the publication date
7) Banana Ketchup is a popular condiment used in the Philippines, which is made of bananas, sugar, vinegar, and spices. The natural color is a brownish-yellow color, but often has food coloring added to make it appear red like tomato ketchup. It came to use during World War II when there was a shortage of tomatoes. It can often be found in countries with a large Filipino community (including United States, Italy, Canada, United Kingdom, Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, Hong Kong, France, Switzerland, Australia, New Zealand, and United Arab Emirates)
☐ Read a book with a predominately Yellow cover OR
☐ Read a cover with a Main Page Genre of World War II OR
☐ Read a book whose author's initials can be found in BANANA or PHILIPPINES (any order or combination) All I Ever Need Is You Bella Andre 6/2/16
8) Mushroom Ketchup - historically, ketchup in the United Kingdom was made from a mushroom base rather than tomato base. Starting with the original fish sauce base, mushrooms and shallots were added, and the main ingredient became mushooms (or on occasion walnuts). While it is still available in the UK, it is typically an unpopular condiment.
☐ Read a book with a predominately brown cover OR
☐ Read a book with plant/flower/grass on the cover OR Robyn Carr 6/10/16
☐ Read a book that is 'unpopular' (less than 1000 reviews on GR)
9) A 2013 episode of Mad Men showed a presentation of 'Ketchup vs. Catsup', showing that Heinz is the only Ketchup. Don presents his pitch, followed by Peggy presenting hers.
☐ Read a book with the word MAD or MEN in the title (variations are fine was long as the intent is kept intact) OR
☐ Read a book where the Main Character's name begins with a D or P - David & Daisy
Time for Love Marie Force 6/7/16OR ☐ Read a book where two characters are battling against each other (be creative)
10) Some people cannot stand ketchup, and instead opt for an alternative of MUSTARD on their food. The mustard seed comes from a flowering plant where the seeds are harvested and ground into a powder, then mixed with various ingredients. There are many varieties of mustard, ranging from a hot & spicy mustard, to a sweet honey mustard, and a beer mustard or plain American yellow mustard. Due to the properties of the condiment, it does not need to be refrigerated and can be stored for long periods of time and remain edible.
☐ Read a book with a flower on the cover OR
☐ Read a book you consider hot & spicy or sweet Exquisite Ella Frank 6/13/16
☐ Read a book that is considered a classic and has stood the test of time