Wednesday, December 7, 2016
Happy 75th Anniversary Archie Comics! Quarterly Challenge- Dec. 15, 2016- March 14, 2017
Romance Readers Reading Challenges
Happy 75th Anniversary Archie Comics!
Quarterly Challenge- Dec. 15, 2016- March 14, 2017
Archie Comics Celebrates its 75th Anniversary in 2016
Archie Comics is the leading mass market comic book publisher in the world and the home to a wide array of the most popular humor, action-adventure and superhero characters in entertainment, including Archie, Jughead, Betty, Veronica, Reggie, Kevin Keller, Josie and the Pussycats, Sabrina the Teenage Witch, and many more. Archie Comics have sold billions comics worldwide and are published around the world in a number of languages. In addition to comics, Archie characters have been featured prominently in animation, television, film and music.
Happy 75th Anniversary Archie Comics!
Level 1-Read any 5 books- Visit Riverdale
Level 2- Read any 10 books- Meet the Archie Gang
Level 3- Read any 15 books- Hang out at Pop's Soda Shop
Level 4- Read any 20 books- Date one of the gang!
Bonus- 5 books (can be added to any level)
Fun Facts about the Archie Comics-
1. In an upcoming special issue, the Archies travel back in time and meet legendary punk band the Ramones.
-Read a book with
time travel or a story with a 'punk' or
rough around the edges character.
2. In 2004, Veronica lost her bikini top to a wave. Racy!
a book published in 2004 or
a book with a naked torso
on the cover.
3. Archie's ancient red jalopy - which was forever breaking down and being repaired by Betty Cooper - was a 1916 Ford Model T. In more recent comics, he's seen driving a red Ford Mustang from the 1960s.
-Read a book with a car or any type of vehicle on the cover,
or a book cover that has the color red.(bonus if you can find a red car!)
4. True to his Scottish roots, Archie can play the bagpipes and has worn a kilt.
- Read a book set in Scotland
or a character from Scotland, or a Historical romance.
31 Days of Winter
5. Though Jughead's love of food is legendary, he's generous if others are hungry. He's given a bag of candy to a penniless boy and donated pizzas to a soup kitchen where he volunteered.
- Read a book with an altruistic, good-hearted character,
or a book with something round on the cover.
Protecting His Own
6. The iconic Archies song "Sugar, Sugar" was rumoured to be offered to the Monkees before the Archies.
- Read a book whose title repeats two of the words, or a book with a band or concert in the story. (i.e. Love Me or Lose Me, One Plus One Equals Trouble)
Never Say Never
7. Big Moose's real name is Marmaduke Mason.
- Read a book whose author goes by a pseudonym,
or uses more than one pen name, or has repeating initials ( i.e. Melissa McClone)
Laura Childs is a pseudonym for Gerry Schmitt
8. Jughead's real first name is Forsythe.
-Read a book with a character that hides their identity,
or has amnesia, or goes by a nickname.
A Lot like Love
9. Betty is allergic to strawberries. Veronica once fed them to her so that she could steal Betty's modelling job.
- Read a book with a devious character
, or a book with food on the cover.
10. Today, there are a number of highly successful Archie spinoff series, like Afterlife with Archie, in which Jughead is a zombie.
- Read a Paranormal Romance,
or a book with zombies or a book that is part of a series.
Jayne Ann Krentz
11. The Archies' rock band consisted of Archie Andrews on lead guitar and vocals, Reggie Mantle on bass, Jughead Jones on drums, Veronica Lodge on keyboard and Betty Cooper on tambourine.
-Read a book that has a group of friends in the story,
or a book with more than 2 people on the cover (needs to be people).
12. Archie comic's first openly gay character, Kevin Keller, appeared in Veronica #202 in Sept. 2010. The issue was so popular it prompted the series first- ever reprint.
an LGBT book, or
a book with an LGBT character,
or a book that has had more than one printing.
Archie is a typical small-town teenager. Generous, well-mannered, but clumsy, he is genuinely liked by many of his friends. Archie goes crazy when he sees an attractive girl, but his two main crushes are Veronica Lodge and Betty Cooper, forming the love triangle driving the comic's plot-lines. He has the best intentions, but often comes into conflict with Veronica's father Hiram Lodge and Riverdale High's principal, Waldo Weatherbee. As the lead singer of The Archies, Archie performs with Betty and Veronica, as well as his rival Reggie, and best buddy Jughead.
- Read a small-town romance
or a romance containing a love triangle.
Quarter Mile Hearts
The very kind hearted, though temperamental girl next door. She is romantically obsessed with Archie. She has a passion for writing and is a good student, athlete, cook, and auto mechanic.
a book with an innocent, or kind character or
a character who likes to cook
or work on cars, or a book with a scene set in a school.
Rules of Contact
Veronica (sometimes called Ronnie or Ron by her close friends) is a very rich girl, the daughter of the billionaire Hiram Lodge. She is a spendthrift, quite spoiled and very vain, but gets along well with most of her classmates. Like her best friend Betty, she is romantically obsessed with Archie and constantly competes for his affections, though she is quick to fall in love with the next hunk around the corner, and occasionally dates Reggie. She rarely gets along with Jughead due to his sloppiness.
- Read a book with a wealthy or vain character,
or a book whose author has an initial of V, L, or R.
Archie's best friend ever since they met as children is named Forsythe. Jughead is obsessed with food, and is a moocher, constantly asking his friends, especially Archie, for money and food. he maintains loyalty to Archie, and is usually the one who has to bail him out of trouble. He usually wears his trademark gray crown beanie.
a book with a 'knight in shining armor' character, or
a character who needs a friend's help,
or a book with a hat, or crown on the cover.
Archie’s main rival, particularly for Veronica's affections. Though they are ultimately good friends, he often taunts Archie and does not understand why girls prefer to date him. He is highly vain and conceited, thinks he can date anyone he wants, and expects everyone to think the world of him.
a book with a character who thinks very highly of themselves, or
a book with a title that has repeating letters in one of the words (i.e. Apples Should Be Read, Just Desserts)
Marmaduke Mason is a muscular star athlete who is a poor student, He is dimwitted and can be easily manipulated by others, particularly Reggie. At the same time, he is also kind, sensitive and helpful toward his closest friends.
- Read a book with an athletic character,
or a sensitive character, or read a book with any kind of sports equipment or an animal on the cover.
On the Fly
The first openly gay character in Archie Comics. Kevin is an aspiring journalist, with many hobbies including collecting comics and competitive eating.
a book with a character who likes to write, or a character who is competitive, or a book that is the first in a series or
an author's debut book.
I Let You Go
Terry "Pop" Tate
- is the owner and manager of the Chok'lit Shoppe, an ice cream parlor and frequent hangout of Archie's Gang. Pop Tate is the self-designated philanthropist for the Archie gang, hearing about their problems while serving ice cream and a variety of other goodies.
- Read a book with a character
in the food industry
, or a business owner, or a book with an older character in it.
The Guest Cottage
Josie and the Pussycats-
Josie was introduced in Archie's Pals 'n' Gals #23 (Winter 1962-1963). Occasionally Josie and her friends would appear in "crossover" issues with the main Archie characters.
Josie and the Pussycats became its own comic book about a fictional rock band, in 1963.
levelheaded, sweet-natured redhead. She is the lead vocalist and plays guitar.
a cute blond, She is an absent-minded, bubbly sort of character who provides much of the comic relief of the series
plays the bass and is the main songwriter. good at science and a skilled auto mechanic
Sabrina the Teenage Witch-
Sabrina the Teenage Witch is a comic book series published by Archie Comics about the adventures of a fictional teenager named Sabrina Spellman. She first appeared in Archie's Madhouse #22 (cover-dated Oct. 1962).
The series' premise is that Sabrina, a "half-witch" – her mother is an ordinary human, or "mortal" as witches refer to them, while her father is a witch – lives with her two aunts, Hilda and Zelda Spellman, both witches themselves, in the fictional town of Greendale, which is located somewhere near Riverdale, the home of Archie Andrews. Also living with the three women as the family pet is Salem Saberhagen, a witch who's been turned into a cat as punishment for world domination attempts.
the lead character of the series. In the early comic series, Sabrina is a well-meaning girl, but she struggles with constant pressure to be "bad" from all the other witches around her, especially her aunts, as well as learning to master her powers.
5. Salem Saberhagen: the Spellmans' American shorthair cat.
Salem was formerly a witch, who was turned into a cat as punishment by the Witches' Council for plotting to take over the world. Salem has the ability to talk and possesses a sarcastic and somewhat self-centered attitude.
Read 5 books that include any or all of the following :
(items below can be used more than once, or not at all. i.e. you can read all 5 books about music if you choose to)
The Wall of Winnipeg and Me
They're Playing Our Song
Carole Bayer Sager
Your Irresistible Love
(all varieties, including shapeshifters)
An Island Christmas
Cat named Rex and bridegroom named Archie!
**There is no minimum page requirement for this challenge. Audiobooks and rereads are allowed.**
December 07, 2016
Post a Comment
Post Comments (Atom)