The Lost Challenges discussion on goodreads
Every 3 months we will give you a list of facts about a randomly selected year with reading tasks to go with them. Read one book for each task.
*Books may only be used for one task
*For each book that you read please post a link to the book, the author and the date you finished it.
* Where more than one option is given for a task, please state which option your book relates to.
*Please explain briefly how your book fits a task.
*If the task relates to the cover of your book, please post the cover.
*All genres and formats are fine.
*Re-reads are allowed.
*No page minimum.
*Please update your original post as you go but also post an occasional message to let us know how you're getting on, if you would like to.
*When you have finished please re-post your whole challenge as a new message or we will not be able to award your Hall of Fame badge!
Fond Memories: 1-5 tasks
Reminiscing: 6-10 tasks
Nostalgia: 11-15 tasks
Duration: 1st July 2017 - 30th September 2017
This quarter the year is: 1998
1. Most watched TV show– ER
Read a book that features a medical professional (doctor, nurse etc)
The Doctor Wears A Stetson Anne Marie Novark 7/2/17
2. Best selling single (UK) – Believe - Cher
Read a book with a one word title.
Fallout Sara Paretsky 7/9/17
3. Best selling album (US) – 'Titanic' Original Soundtrack - James Horner
Read a book that has been made into a film.
The Mountain Between Us Charles Martin 7/12/17
4. Most popular film – Armageddon
Read a book where somebody goes into space OR featuring a major disaster.
Town bar exploded.
Hard to Handle Nicole Edwards 7/18/17
5. Best selling book – The Street Lawyer - John Grisham
Read a book that involves a courtroom trial.
6. Celebrities of the year – Robbie Williams / Faith Hill / Drew Barrymore / Will Smith
Read a book by an author who shares a first or last name with one of these people.
(I will accept different spellings of names but not different forms i.e for Robbie Williams, 'Robby' would be acceptable but not 'Rob' or 'Robert')
The Secret Life of Violet Grant Beatriz Williams 9/13/17
7. Born this year – Apr 9th - Elle Fanning - (Actress sister of Dakota Fanning)
Read a book featuring sisters.
Adam Jennifer Ashley 7/15/17
8. Died this year – Feb 6th - Carl Wilson - (Guitarist/ singer with 'The Beach Boys'.)
Read a book set in the summer OR with a beach scene on the cover.
Summer at the Lake Linda Barrett 7/5/17
IN THE NEWS
9. Jan 17th - Story breaks of President Bill Clinton's alleged affair with Monica Lewinsky.
Read a book involving an illicit affair.
One Week Girlfriend Monica Murphy 7/7/17
10. Feb/Mar - Five week blackout in Auckland, New Zealand.
Read a book with a black cover.
NUDES Sarah Robinson 7/16/17
11. Apr 22nd – Disney's Animal Kingdom opens at Walt Disney World in Orlando, Florida.
Read a book with an animal character. (Shifters are acceptable)
Personal Demon Kelley Armstrong 7/25/17
12. Jul 12th - Host nation France wins the final of the 16th FIFA World Cup.
Read a book published in 2016.
Going Under Lexi Ryan 7/19/17
13. Sep 4th - Search engine GOOGLE is founded.
Read a book with a title starting with one of the letters in GOOGLE.
Loyalty in Death J.D. Robb 7/1/17
14. Dec 26th - The Great Boxing Day Storm - Severe gale force winds hit Ireland, southern Scotland and northern England.
Read a book where bad weather plays an important part.
Eliza got hit by a car and stayed overnight with Aiden. She didn't want to stay with him but had no choice because of a blizzard.
Snow Angel Cove RaeAnne Thayne 7/27/17
15. 1998 is the International Year of the Ocean (YOTO), by declaration of the United Nations.
Read a book with water on the cover.
Redemption Bay RaeAnne Thayne 7/28/17