The Lost Challenges discussion on goodreads
Bell, Book and Candle
Duration: 6 months from start date.
Bell, Book and Candle is a 1958 American romantic comedy Technicolor film directed by Richard Quine, based on the successful Broadway play by John Van Druten and adapted by Daniel Taradash.
It stars Kim Novak as a witch who casts a spell on her neighbor played by James Stewart. Rounding out the supporting cast are Jack Lemmon, Ernie Kovacs, Hermione Gingold and Elsa Lanchester. The film is considered Stewart's last as a romantic lead.
Observer: 1-5 Tasks
Film Buff: 6-11 Tasks
***Cinephile: 12+ Tasks***
During the Christmas holiday season, Greenwich Village witch Gillian Holroyd (Kim Novak), a free spirit with a penchant for going barefoot, has been unlucky in love and restless in life. She admires from afar her neighbor, publisher Shep Henderson (James Stewart), who one day walks into her gallery of African art to use the telephone, after Gillian's aunt Queenie (Elsa Lanchester) put a spell on his phone. When she learns he is about to marry an old college enemy of hers, Merle Kittridge (Janice Rule), Gillian takes revenge by casting a love spell on Shep, and she eventually falls for him herself. She must make a choice, as witches who fall in love lose their supernatural powers. When she decides to love Shep, Gillian's cat and familiar, Pyewacket, becomes agitated and leaves.
1. Read a book where the characters are neighbors.
How to Hang a Witch Adriana Mather 10/19/17
2. Read a book with a main character that is a witch.
Cast in Angelfire S.M. Reine 10/3/17
3. Read a book where a character has a cat. What's it's name? Wren
The Rules of Magic Alice Hoffman 10/14/17
4. Read a romantic comedy.
5. Read a book with bare feet on the cover. Bare Feet Lists
Just Breathe Susan Wiggs 11/23/17
6. Read a book with a character that can be described as "unlucky in love and restless in life". Tell us the character's name.
Violet The Destiny of Violet & Luke Jessica Sorensen 11/8/17
7. Read a book where a person from the main character's past comes back to haunt them.
Dying Breath Heather Graham 10/8/17
8. Read a book where a character casts a spell.
Cold Blooded Amanda Carlson 10/5/17
9. Read a book where an aunt plays an important part in the story line.
The Summer That Made Us Robyn Carr 10/14/17
This was the second film starring James Stewart and Kim Novak. The first was Vertigo.
10. Read a book where two characters were in a prior book that you read.
The Firebird Susanna Kearsley 10/5/17
Tell us the prior book's name and the characters' names.
The Winter Sea Sophia Paterson, John Moray
11. Read a book with an author whose name is James or Kim (variations are allowed).
Last Song London Casey (Karolyn James) 10/28/17
12. Read a book with a title that starts with a letter in VERTIGO.
One Stiletto in the Grave Jason Krumbine 10/11/17
Bell, Book and Candle is generally recognized as Stewart's final romantic leading role.
13. Read the last book in a series.
Up from the Grave Jeaniene Frost 10/26/17 (Night Huntress #7)
14. Read a book with the words BELL, BOOK or CANDLE in the title.
Release date - November 11, 1958
15. Read a book published in November.
Jacob's Ladder: Gabe Katie Ashley 11/16/17
16. Read a book with a page count that contains two of these numbers - 1, 9, 5, or 8.
291 pages Accidental Sire Molly Harper 10/7/17
17. Read a Series/TBR #11.
Where The Staircase Ends Stacy Stokes 11/21/17
Book Cover/Movie Poster
18. Read a book with a cover who's color is also on the poster.
Full Moon Rising Keri Arthur 10/13/17
19. Read a book with a couple that are embracing.
Burn for Me Ilona Andrews 10/2/17
20. Read a book with a sofa or a cat on the cover.
The Whizz Pop Chocolate Shop Kate Saunders 10/17/17
*For each book that you read please post a link to the book, the author and the date you finished it.
*Each book may only be used for one task or letter
*To count a book towards a challenge you must read the majority of it after the start date of the challenge.
* Where more than one option is given for a task, please state which option your book relates to.
*Please explain briefly how your book fits a task.
*If the task relates to the cover of your book, please post the cover AND the book link.
*All genres and formats are fine.
*Re-reads are allowed.
*No page minimum.
*Please update your original post as you go but also post an occasional message to let us know how you're getting on, if you would like to.
*When you have finished please re-post your whole challenge as a new message or you will not be considered to have completed the challenge and we will not be able to award your Hall of Fame badge
(Even if you don't hit the level you were aiming for by the deadline, please re-post your challenge anyway as you may still be eligible for a lower level badge.)
Please use the TLC STANDARD RULES when participating in this challenge.
If you are not familiar with these rules, please click on the link and read them over.
Info from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bell,_B...