The Lost Challenges discussion on goodreads
Musical Group of the Month: Queen
Duration: September 15, 2018- October 14, 2018
You may do as many tasks as you wish.
You may use the tasks as many times as you wish.
A badge will be awarded for participation.
1. Queen is a British rock band that formed in London in 1970. Their classic line-up was Freddie Mercury (lead vocals, piano), Brian May (lead guitar, vocals), Roger Taylor (drums, vocals), and John Deacon (bass guitar).
🎸 Read a book with a title that contains a Q.
2. Except Freddie Mercury, every other band member has a post graduate degree.
🎸 Read a book where a character has a degree from college or university.
3. On 2 July 1971, Queen played their first show in the classic line-up of Mercury, May, Taylor and Deacon at a Surrey college outside London.
🎸 Read a book published in July OR set in London.
4. Having attended art college, Mercury also designed Queen's logo, called the Queen crest, shortly before the release of the band's first album. The logo combines the zodiac signs of all four members: two lions for Leo (Deacon and Taylor), a crab for Cancer (May), and two fairies for Virgo (Mercury). The lions embrace a stylized letter Q, the crab rests atop the letter with flames rising directly above it, and the fairies are each sheltering below a lion. There is also a crown inside the Q and the whole logo is over-shadowed by an enormous phoenix.
🎸 Read a book with an item from the crest on the cover: lion, crab, fairy, crown, flames, the letter Q or a phoenix. Please post the cover.
5. Their 4th album, Night at the Opera, released in 1975 brought them international success. It featured "Bohemian Rhapsody", which stayed at number one in the UK for nine weeks and also helped to popularize the music video.
🎸 Read a Series/TBR #4 OR a book with the word NIGHT in the title.
6. "Bohemian Rhapsody" is the only single ever to sell a million copies on two separate occasions, and became the Christmas number one twice in the UK, the only single ever to do so. It has been voted numerous times the greatest song of all time.
🎸 Read a bestseller OR a book from The Great American Read.
7. The band's 1977 album News of the World contained "We Will Rock You" and "We Are the Champions", which have become anthems at sporting events.
🎸 Read a book with FOUR WORD title.
8. The soundtrack for the film Flash Gordon (1980) was by Queen. The band also contributed music to Highlander (the original 1986 film), with "A Kind of Magic", "One Year of Love", "Who Wants to Live Forever", "Hammer to Fall", and the theme "Princes of the Universe", which was also used as the theme of the Highlander TV series (1992–1998). In the United States, "Bohemian Rhapsody" was re-released as a single in 1992 after appearing in the comedy film Wayne's World.
🎸 Read a book that is tagged Sci-Fi, Adventure, Action, Fantasy or Humor/Comedy .
9. In summer of 1986, Queen went on their final tour with Freddie Mercury. The band did continue recording albums.
🎸 Read a book set in one of the countries on Queen's last tour.
10. In 1991, Mercury died of bronchopneumonia, a complication of AIDS, and Deacon retired in 1997. May and Taylor have performed under the Queen name with Paul Rodgers and Adam Lambert as vocalists on tours since.
🎸 Read a book with a character named Freddie, Paul or Adam.
*Please post a partial list of the challenge when you sign up.
*For each book that you read please post a link to the book, the author and the date you finished it.
*Each book may only be used for one task or letter
*To count a book towards a challenge you must read the majority of it after the start date of the challenge.
* Where more than one option is given for a task, please state which option your book relates to.
*If the task relates to the cover of your book, please post the cover AND the book link.
*All genres and formats are fine.
*Re-reads are allowed.
*No page minimum.
*Please update your original post as you go.
*When you have finished, please re-post your whole challenge as a new message and MARK AS FINISHED or you will not be considered to have completed the challenge and we will not be able to award your Hall of Fame badge
(Even if you don't hit the level you were aiming for by the deadline, please re-post your challenge anyway as you may still be eligible for a lower level badge.)
Please use the TLC STANDARD RULES when participating in this challenge.
If you are not familiar with these rules, please click on the link and read them over.