Saturday, August 30, 2008

Tomatoes!

My good friend, Beth, gave me 2 huge boxes of tomatoes yesterday. I spent most of the day coring, chopping, putting them through the food mill and cooking down the sauce. Then canning the jars of sauce. I got 6 quarts. FROM ONE BOX.
Today the same thing! I am hoping to get 6 quarts from this box. Currently, I am in the cooking down stage. And I am in the middle of baking bread. I am some white whole wheat flour instead of all bread flour. Boy, does that change the consistency!

We planted 12 tomato plants but they are not doing well. We are getting some tomatoes but they are very small. I got a few green peppers and I think they are done. I don't know what is up! Only a few of the corn stalks got ears on them.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Joanne, this is funny. I just posted an entry called Tomatoes yesterday. Like minds?

jmisgro said...

It is that time of year!! On my second batch I got 2 quarts and 5 26 oz jars. I ran out of quart jars!