Monday, July 7, 2008

What's for Dinner?

Some of the frugal blogs I read the food they serve for dinner my husband would not eat. If I served hamburgers he would get mad. But I do get away with some easy and cheap things. Last night we had steak, those new Grillin' Beans from Bush's (I mixed in a can of Eden Organic Cannelini Beans)and some green leaf lettuce salad.
Saturday he was busy with a customer from NYC. So I made BBQ Franks, corn and french fries. He was not crazy about that, but he was hungry at 10:30pm when he came home.

BBQ Franks

1 medium onion, chopped
1T oil ( I use light flavored olive oil)
1T sugar
1t dry mustard (if you don't have it use 1T of yellow prepared mustard)
salt and pepper
1t paprika
1/2c ketchup
1/2c water
1/4 c vinegar
1T Worcestershire Sauce
1 pack of franks (I use Hebrew National - yummy!)

Cook onion in oil until golden. Add rest of ingredients except for franks. Split the franks the long way, place cut side down in baking dish. Pour BBQ sauce over them. Bake at 350 for 30 minutes.
I loved these hotdogs when I was a kid! My mom got this recipe from a Navy Wives Cookbook (I think.) Depending on what type of paprika you use it will change the flavor! http://www.cookinglight.com/cooking/flavorprofiles/Paprika.html

Yesterday I got a nice head of califlower. Tonight we are having califlower soup with homemade bread!

1 comment:

Susan @ SGCC said...

I love hot dogs! They're a guilty pleasure of mine. Your recipe looks delicious!

I bought some of those Grillin' Beans the other day, but I haven't used them yet. They look pretty good, though.