Quarterly Challenges Reading the Seasons -Spring 2019
Object: The aim of the game is to score as many points as possible by the end of the quarter.
Read books for the tasks listed below. Some (but not all) tasks will have opportunities to collect bonus points.
You may the tasks as many times as you wish.
When you have finished please re-post your whole challenge as a new message or we will not be able to award your Hall of Fame badge!
SCORING: Score 1 point for each book read that fits a task PLUS 2 points for each bonus task.
TASK: Read a book set in USA (Bonus: set in one of the 'Thirteen Colonies')
You read a book set in California = 1 point for USA
Total: 1 point
You read a book set in Delaware (which is one of the 13 colonies) = 1 point for USA + 2 points for Delaware
Total: 3 points
Please keep a record of your points total at the top of your post.
Reading the Seasons -Spring
Duration: 20 March 2019 - 21 June 2019
3-15 points - Super Seasonal
16-30 points - Spring Fling
31+ points - Beautiful Blossoms
1. Read a book originally published in March, April, May or June of any year. (Bonus: Published in Mar/Apr/May/Jun 2019)
2. Read a book whose title begins with a letter in SPRING (exclude A, An and The).
3. Read a book with the letters B I R T H somewhere in the title. Does not have to be in order. (Bonus: The letters 'BIRTH' in order in the title, may be Birth, Rebirth, Birthed, etc.)
4. Read a book with a spring word in the title. (Bonus: 'Spring' in the title)
5. Read a book with a cover that reminds you of spring. This can be as simple as a pastel coloured cover. (Bonus: An umbrella, rabbit or spring flowers (tulip, daffodil, etc) - Show us the cover.
6. March 21: Purim or Holi celebrated by Jews and Hindus/Sikhs/Jains
Read a book with a Jewish or Hindu/Sikh/Jain character OR with a character that gives food to the needy or repairs a broken relationship.
7. April Fool's Day - Read a book where someone plays a prank. (Bonus: An April Fools prank)
8. April 2: Isra and Mi'raj – The day emphasizes the importance of prayer and reviews the relative importance of the trip Prophet Mohammad made from Mecca to Jerusalem and his ascension into heaven.
Read a book where a character prays. (Bonus: Praying hands on the cover.)
9. April 7: National Beer Day - Read a book where a character drinks a beer.
10. April 9: National Library Workers Day - Read a book where a character works in a library. (Bonus: The MC is a librarian.)
11. April 12: Walk on Your Wild Side Day – encourages us to take a chance. Use this day to do something out of the ordinary, unusual or even extraordinary.
Read a book from a genre you don't normally read OR where a character does something out of the ordinary, unusual or even extraordinary.
12. Easter - Read a book where Easter is celebrated OR from the Christian genre.
13. April 24: Administrative Professionals Day - Read a book where a character is a secretary or administrative assistant.
14. April 26: Arbor Day - Arbor Day originated in Nebraska by J. Sterling Morton.
Read a book with a tree on the cover OR with an author that uses an initial.
15. Cinco de Mayo - Read a book with a Mexican or Mexican American character OR a Series #5.
16. May 11: Twilight Zone Day – Read a book that can be described as mysterious, weird, surreal and perhaps a little scary OR with a black and white cover.
17. May 25: National Towel Day - Read a book where a character uses a towel OR by an author whose last name begins with A. (Bonus: A towel on the cover.)
18. June 7: National Doughnut Day - Read a book where a character enjoys a doughnut OR is a baker.
19. June 14: Flag Day (US) – Read a book with a US flag on the cover.
20. June 16: Father's Day – Read a book with a character who is a father. (Bonus: The MC is a father.)
*Please post a partial list of the challenge when you sign up.
*For each book that you read please post a link to the book, the author and the date you finished it.
*Each book may only be used for one task or letter
*To count a book towards a challenge you must read the majority of it after the start date of the challenge.
* Where more than one option is given for a task, please state which option your book relates to.
*If the task relates to the cover of your book, please post the cover AND the book link.
*All genres and formats are fine.
*Re-reads are allowed.
*No page minimum.
*Please update your original post as you go.
*When you have finished, please re-post your whole challenge as a new message and MARK AS FINISHED or you will not be considered to have completed the challenge and we will not be able to award your Hall of Fame badge
(Even if you don't hit the level you were aiming for by the deadline, please re-post your challenge anyway as you may still be eligible for a lower level badge.)
Please use the TLC STANDARD RULES when participating in this challenge.
If you are not familiar with these rules, please click on the link and read them over.