Friday, November 14, 2008

Classic Gingerbread

Yesterday I was going through my lastest issue of AllYou magazine. I make sure I don't miss any coupons or good articles.
I came across this recipe. The recipe calls for it to be baked in a Bundt pan but I used 2 -8 inch pans and popped one in the freezer for later use. My small family cannot eat a whole Bundt cake. Plus we will have one for later if company comes.
I like to serve my gingerbread with whipped cream!
Classic Gingerbread
2 cups flour
1 tsp baking powder
2 Tbsp ground ginger
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
1/4 ground cloves
1/8 tsp salt
1 cup unsweetened applesauce
1 tsp baking soda
2 large eggs plus 1 large egg white
1/2 cup dark molasses
1 cup packed dark brown sugar
3/4 cup vegetable oil
3 Tbsp confectioner's sugar
1. Preheat oven to 350 F. Grease and flour a 12 cup Bundt pan.
2. In a large bowl, combine flour, baking powder, ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves and salt. In a separate bowl, mix applesauce with baking soda. In a third, large bowl, whisk eggs, egg white, molasses, brown sugar and oil until smooth. (HINT: Spray the measuring cup with PAM or whatever before you add the molasses. It will slide right out.) Add to dry ingredients and gently stir to form a smooth batter. Fold in applesauce mixture.
3. Pour batter into Bundt pan. Bake in center of oven until a toothpick comes out clean, about 45 minutes. Cool 5 minutes in pan on wire rack, then unmold to cool completely. Dust with confectioner's sugar and serve.

No comments: