Wednesday, December 10, 2008

NO High Fructose Corn Syrup!

I have tried to eliminate HFCS from our diet. But there are some things you "need" that contain it like syrup and soda. I am down to ONE Dr. Pepper a day. Some days I don't even have one. But Little P loves pancakes. What to do about syrup? Robin over at "A Little Greener Every Day" is in the same predicament. Check out her post http://robinshreeves.blogspot.com/2008/11/almost-giving-up-green.html

I got a great idea, well it is Nigella Lawson's idea!

I put 5 or 6 frozen strawberries in a bowl and nuke them to soften them up a little. Then I add some powdered sugar, about 1-2 tablespoons, depending on the sweetness of the berries.
Then I take my immersion blender* (you can use a regular blender) and grind it up!
Voila, strawberry sauce.
*I always wanted an immersion blender but they were too expensive. Then last year some time I was looking on KitchenAid .com for a price on a pasta maker to attach to my mixer. I looked at the clearance section. There was one for $15. Baby, I snatched that right up! 2 weeks ago i got a cooks catalog in the mail and they listed the same blender for $150. Outrageous!


2 comments:

Debbie said...

That looks great. Can we not use pure maple syrup too?

Michelle | Bleeding Espresso said...

Mmmmm looks great!