Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Honolulu by Alan Brennert



I read this fantastic book over the weekend.

It is the story of a Korean girl named Regret who realizes that her life in Korea in 1915 holds nothing for her. She manages to get herself married off to a Korean man in Hawaii. She gets there and realizes that life in Hawaii was not going to be the golden life she hopes for. Her husband turns out to be a real creep and she escapes him and goes to Honolulu.

She changes her name and furiously works toward a new life. There are a lot of historical facts woven into this fictional story which I liked. I lived in Honolulu for awhile in 1981 and could imagine the city in the early 1900's.

3 comments:

RoeH said...

Ooooh....sounds really good. I'm catching a plane tomorrow morning. That just may be the book I take with me. Thanks! I love Hawaii themes.

jmisgro said...

It's his 2nd book. I ordered his first one, Molokai, from the library today!

Rowena said...

Thanks for leaving the link to sicilian simplicity -- I'm subscribed to her!

Anyway, I'm glad that I stopped by because I had never heard of this book. Sounds like an interesting read--I'll have to check it out the next time I'm back in the states. The bookcover is lovely!