Thursday, December 17, 2009

Hey, that looks familiar!

As some of you may know I grew up in south Texas. We have some plants that I haven't seen in awhile. We moved to Pennsylvania in 1978 and I was only back to Texas in 1980 and 1981 (to Galveston).


In Italy these are called Fichi d'India Cactus. In Texas they're called Prickly Pear Cactus. When we arrived the fruit were just coming in season. People eat them here. I remember that ladies would make jelly from the fruit but I don't remember anyone eating them. It's a good thing to eat if you have the runs!! It will plug you up!!

2 comments:

Gil said...

My Neapolitan Father used to eat them. I wish I knew where to get them in the US and how to clean them. They also eat them in Calabria.

jmisgro said...

I will have to get my mom to ask her friends in Texas to get you some!! Or you could come here!