Monday, February 1, 2010

Sunday Trip To the Tholos

The King visited his father yesterday morning, then we had lunch and headed out. We had no idea where we were going. I saw one of these signs. What is that? Let's find it! So we set out..

We wound in and out of some beautiful towns, driving higher and higher.
I will post photos of those later. I don't know how many km we drove
until we finally found it! It felt like we were on top of the world.
Maybe we were close but since we could not see Mt. Etna we weren't!

What is this thing? I knew from the word Tholos that it was Greek. When we got home I googled it. It's a burial site and it's really, really old. It could be as old as the 3rd century B.C.!


Here's a closer view! I was going to see if I could get inside but it was chilly up there. I only had on a sweater because when we left home it was quite warm. But we were pretty high up in the mountains and a storm was rolling in. It was just strating to rain as we got to the Tholos.

This is the building next to the Tholos.



As we started to drive away I noticed all these other buildings. It was very rocky in this area.


You can see the storm front over the mountains.



Look at these rocks on the side of the road. We think the macadam is covering these rocks.

Someone hand laid these to make a road. Who, I wonder?




1 comment:

LindyLouMac said...

Italy has so many interesting sites similar to these and it always surprises and pleases us how little fuss is made. You can wander freely to your hearts content.
This just would not happen in the UK, either access would be forbidden or you would be charged an entrance fee.

Thanks for sharing, this site looks so interesting.