Thursday, March 18, 2010

Free Food!!

Next to the house where we live is a garden. I am thankful that there is not another house there because we would have no privacy at all. Plus it's nice to see the things growing there.
The land is worked by 3 people, 2 men and a woman.
Orange tree on the left.
Nice lemon tree - full of lemons...

Flowering Pea plants


Califlower patch


The lady was over there yesterday morning and offered me this beautiful califlower. It was nice and firm. AND very delicious. I made it for dinner last night. Sophia and I cleaned it, cut off the flowerets and poured olive oil and salt over them and roasted them in the oven for about 20 minutes at 400-450 degrees. YUMMY!

5 comments:

Anne in Oxfordshire said...

Hello JoAnne, I have never tried roasted Cauli.. might do.

One thing that I always read about is how the Scilians share food. Welshcakes on Sicily Scene is always telling us about her wonderful friends who bring to her, or give her. And the wonderful Fruit and veg people.

Sonia @ My Sweet Monkey said...

Yum!!! Cauliflower is one of my favorite veggies!

Gil said...

Can't complain about neighbors like that!

jmisgro said...

Gil, I wish they all were so nice!

Rowena said...

I can't believe how advanced that garden is! Here I am, just praying for the weather to warm up enough (it's still aroudn 10°C) so that I can start putting seedlings into the ground. Sigh... Still, that image of the cauliflower brightened my day. What generous neighbors!